Feb 11, 2011

PassinThru Outdoors Turns One


Well PTO has been up and running for a whole year now and I am certainly surprised that I am still blogging along.    When I first started I really didn't think this was going to work for me.  I'm not a writer or even a decent story teller so I thought who the heck would want to read anything I put up here anyway.  I'm still not sure anyone really reads my posts but I do get comments on them so hopefully someone finds something interesting,  but if not thanks for making believe and giving me hope with the comments.

At just 6 months shy of my 46 birthday I have definitely spent plenty of time in the great outdoors doing the things I am passionate about.  This passion has offered up many opportunities to meet people who also share in the passion for the outdoors, but blogging has opened up a whole new world for meeting more folks with the outdoors bug.  In the past year of blogging I am never without seeing, hearing or learning something new about the outdoors and being able to share, not in person albeit, but still get to share in everyone's adventures and outings and for that alone I am glad I took the plunge into blogging.

I remember a conversation with my father one hunting season in the late 80s where he was giving me a hard time about lugging a camera around the mountain while on a archery hunt in the Delaware Water Gap.  I tired explaining that I thought it would be fun to take pictures to show my friends and family just how incredible this place was.  His answer was "If they want to see it, then let them get out here and see it".  Of course I just chalked this up to an old crotchety attitude to anything technical and anything that HE didn't think was necessary.  I just did what I have done on other occasions and I agreed with a fake acceptance nod as it went in one ear and out the other.

When I think about this conversation, my dad did have a point, the only real way to experience the wonderful outdoors was to get outside and experience it yourself.  The camera couldn't do justice to what we actually experienced each and every time we climbed that mountain, but it most certainly helps me remember those outings a little more vividly and in the end it was worth lugging some extra equipment around.  well my foray into blogging has had a similar effect in that it is forcing me to relive many of those outings and experiences as well as the emotions felt during those outings.  I'm not sure if it is the aspect of sharing these experiences with new people whom might read my blog or just the fact that blogging forces the memory wheel to spin.   Blogging and reading many of the great outdoor blogs that are out there forces that memory wheel to spin and I am never disappointed at where it randomly stops.

So while I sit back and reflect on my first year of blogging I can't help but think of ways to do more and make PTO better, but what I am really looking forward to is sharing in the new adventures from my fellow bloggers.

Thank you to everyone who has stopped by PTO over the last year and I hope you continue to stop by and encourage you to keep on sharing your passions.

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 1 year milestone. I have been following your outdoor experiences and you do a wonderful job of bringing those special thoughts and and ramblings to all who read them.

    Here's to your second year........

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it to the year mark!! And now that the first one is down, I can see many more to come.. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the the first year! That's great feeling milestone and I propose a toast:

    Here's to many, many more grand adventures and the tellin' of their tales here ~ CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1st Blogday! I have enjoyed reading what you have to offer over the past year and I look forward to many more! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 1 year B-Day. For someone who didn't know how it was going to turn out you did alright.

    Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You forgot to mention that Dad now carries a camera around the woods too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me jump in here and offer you an "Idaho Handshake" for a job well done with your blog. I am sure that every new blogger may have the same feelings you had when you started. It is amazing what outdoor blogging has come to mean to us all.
    Here is to another great year of PTO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awesome milestone. It's funny, I feel as if I've been reading your stuff for much longer. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to following you during your second year! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the one year mark Passinthru! Looking forward to whatever lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the great posts and we will keep reading along. Way to go on one year! I prefer a good brownie over rice krispie treats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all the comments. I still can't believe it's been a full year. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete