Nov 13, 2013

Moose Update and Other Ramblings

Quick update on our resident moose.  We haven't seen here since the previous weekend but we did run into some new moose sign that wasn't there the previous outing. 

I found this tree which looks just like the first one we found and the more I think about it, I don't believe this was done by a bull moose with his antlers, but by our resident cow moose who is stripping and eating the bark.  I'm sure some of you in moose country can chime in here, what do you think?  





I even took my better half out for a walk to retreive a seat we left in one of our blinds so while out there we tried to find Mrs. Moose but we didn't.  We did have a great hike on a cool fall afternoon though.  Very refreshing.



This is an old foundation out on a piece of State forest land.  I sure would have liked to live out here back in the day.



The deer activity out in this area has been quiet and with the rut about to kick in and the cool weather I was a little discourage with the lack of sightings and sign.  We only have one more week until our gun season opens and that will change it even more.

Haven't seen many ducks around lately but the beavers have done such a good job with their damn and widening out this brook, I'm hoping it will stay open through this recent cold snap and offer up a little hiding spot for some traveling ducks.  Just need to get through gun season before I hunt this area.





3 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you through Coys blog.
    Great blog and interesting.
    We hunt moose too. But more fond of roe hunting with our dachshunds. Next week I have field trial with 3 of them,
    THis weekend we will hunt moose on SUnday , we still have some to shoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the beaver pond may be a good place to hunt some ducks, and the tree is tore up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea they had Moose in Connecticut. Cool blog man, really enjoyed looking at it.

    ReplyDelete