Dec 9, 2010

Sarcocystis - "Rice Breast Disease"

I was catching up on many of the blogs I follow and I cam across an interesting blog from The Downeast Duck Hunter where he was describing what he found when dressing out a black duck that he recently harvested and I was totally amazed as I have never seen such a thing and just had to share it.

What DDH noticed was  "Both breasts were impregnated with small white objects that resembled rice".  So he decided to search the internet and it turns out this is this rice looking stuff was Sarcocystis which was latter confirmed by some email correspondence that DDH had with Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife.

If you are a waterfowl hunter take a minute to read the blog post and the information in the above link.

No comments:

Post a Comment